Software Utilities & Tools: Free & Best
6 of 24 free services/ Software to ease our life:
Ever wondered why our webmail doesn’t support attachment more than 5/10 MB? Don’t ask me! I don’t know either. But if you ask me about resolutions- there’s lots! I know you know some services too. Well which one is best? My best is the Box.net. Of course I’m talking about free services!! I always do. No post on my blog is for paid or trial utility software/ program/ services. Box.net has several limitations for free account but still it does it’s job properly and satisfactorily. You can share your file or even folder with categories along with editing privilege or just for viewing/downloading. You can share the box.net application in your Facebook, WordPress & Blogspot too! Box.net is a leading web-based content storage and collaboration solution adopted by small businesses and Fortune 1000 companies globally.
Main Features include:
1. Online Workspaces – Create shared workspaces and easily invite team members to upload files, start discussions and collaborate online.
2. File Sharing – Easily share large files both within your company and with external partners replacing FTP software and email attachments. You can even see when your files are downloaded!
3. Folder Layers – Create and organize multiple layers of folders replacing your file server with an online company-wide file system.
4. Mobile Access – View your files on any browser-enabled mobile device and use Box’s apps on the iPhone and Blackberry.
5. File Commenting, Group Discussions and Online Documents – Leave comments attached to a specific document, start a group discussion, or create and share a simple document.
6. Updates – Like a newsfeed for your shared workspace, keep up with all activity via the Updates tab in Box and through email.
7. Version History – View previous versions of your files even after changes are made and new versions are uploaded. *Business only
8. User Management – Manage users easily, control data access and review reports on content usage and activity using the Admin Console. *Business only
9. Security Controls – Set various levels of view and edit permission, set up a time to auto-delete a file or deactivate a link, and password protect sensitive folders or files *Business only
10. Easy-to-Use – Minimize user training and support costs, eliminate software or hardware maintenance, and get started in just minutes.
Same as the Box.net service except that you don’t get a permanant storage and here you don’t need any account or registration to use this service. First time I used this service when I tried to mail some party picture of my office to a friend, the attachment size was more than the permitted size and denied. So I went to YouSendIt.com and from that day…. I use this one click service for large size attachment with mail.
01. YouSendIt lets you send files up to 200 MB (for free)
02. The uploaded documents are stored at YouSendIt for 7 (free), read for download.
03. Email recipients get a message containing a unique link to the file.
04. YouSendIt scans sent files for known viruses and, for paid accounts, can track delivery and downloads.
05. File transfer can happen over secure TLS/SSL connections with YouSendIt.
06. A personal address book lets you remember people who often receive large files.
07. The YouSendIt Outlook add-on and Windows desktop application can resume interrupted uploads.
All you have to do is visit YouSendIt, compose your message, specify the big file — up to 100 MB in size for free accounts — to be delivered and click “Send It”. Sending large files is as easy as that with YouSendIt, and the recipient will get an email containing a link to a page from which the file can be downloaded. Though it’s a pity YouSendIt file sending and downloading limits are a tad low for free accounts.